King of Scots
Full Arms of Scotland until 1603
House of Dunkeld, 1034-1286
- William I the Lion, (1142/1143 – 1214), King of Scots from 1165. First use of the traditional blazon of Scotland.
- David of Scotland (c. 1144 - 1219), Earl of Huntingdon. Huntingdon was granted to him after his elder brother William I of Scotland ascended the throne.
William I the Lion, (1142/1143 – 1214),
David of Scotland (c. 1144 -1219)
House of Balliol (1292-1296)
- John de Balliol (c. 1249 – c.1314), King of the Scots (1292-1296).
John de Balliol (c. 1249 – c.1314)
House of Bruce (1306-1371)
- Robert I, (1274 – 1329)‘Robert the Bruce’, King of the Scots from 1306.
‘Robert the Bruce’
House of Stewart/Stuart
- Robert II ( 1316 – 1390), from 1371. Formerly 7th High Steward of Scotland .
Younger sons of Robert II :
- Robert Stewart, (c. 1340 – 1420), Earl of Menteith, Earl of Fife , Earl of Buchan, Earl of Atholl and Duke of Albany. Line extinct 1425.
- Alexander Stewart, (1343–1405), 1st Earl of Buchan, and Lord of Badenoch.
- David Stewart, (1356-d. bef. 1389), 1st Earl of Caithness
- Walter Stewart, (died 1437), Earl of Atholl, Strathearn and Caithness. Line extinct 1437.
Son of James I:
- David Stewart ( 1378 – ),heir to the throne of Scotland from 1390 and the first Duke of Rothesay from 1398.
Younger sons of James II:
- Alexander Stewart, (c. 1454 - 1485), 1st Duke of Albany, Line extinct 1536.
- John Stewart, (c. 1456–c. 1479),Earl of Mar and Garioch.
- Son of James III:
- James Stewart, (1476 - J1504), Marquess of Ormonde , Earl of Ross in 1481, and Duke of Ross in 1488. Archbishop of St. Andrews in 1497 and Lord Chancellor of Scotland in 1502.
- Francis II ( 1544 – 1560), King-consort of Scotland (1558–1560), and King of France (1559 – 1560), first husband of Mary, Queen of Scots.
Stewart of Moray branch of the House of Stewart:
- James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray (c. 1531 – 1570), Regent of Scotland from 1567 to 1570. Moray was the illegitimate son of King James V of Scotland.
Stewart of Bute branch of the House of Stewart:
- John Stewart (born 1360), the natural son of Robert II of Scotland.
Earl of Moray
Earl of Bute
Stuart (1567-1707): Stewart of Darnley branch of the House of Stewart
The Stewarts of Darnley were descended from the second son of Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland.
- Henry Stuart, ( 1545 – 1567),1st Duke of Albany, commonly known as Lord Darnley, King Consort of Scotland from 1565.
- Archibald Douglas, (1490 – January, 1557),6th Earl of Angus, father of Margaret Douglas, mother of Lord Darnley.
- Matthew Stuart ( 1516 – 1571),4th Earl of Lennox,farther of Lord Darnley.
- Esmé Stewart, ( 1542– 1583), 1st Duke of Lennox, 1st Earl of Lennox
- James VI and I (1566 – 1625), King of Scotland as James VI, and and King of Ireland as James I. He ruled in Scotland as James VI from 1567 and England from 1603. For further descent see Great Britain.